August 14, 2013

Great Taste Awards 2013: Who are the Irish Winners?

The Great Taste Awards, often referred to as the ‘Oscars of the Food Industry’, are the acknowledged benchmark for speciality food and drink across the UK and Ireland. This year food producers entered nearly 10,000 products with only 125 foods achieving the full total of three gold stars. The judging process is rigorous with over 400 judges spending over 50 days doing tastings before they decide which products will be awarded a gold star.

Winning a Great Taste Award has a twofold advantage. Firstly, it means that we, as the consumer, know that the product has been awarded on great taste alone and not all on the other trappings such as packaging. Secondly, for producers, it helps differentiate their product from all the other competition out there.

So how did Ireland do? Overall 496 Irish products were awarded gold stars. 16 Irish products received the coveted three stars, 61 products received two stars while 419 received one gold star. I'm just going to concentrate on those that received 3 stars but congratulations to all the producers who received one and two stars. The sixteen products that won are:

Products
Company Name
Corleggy Goats Cheese
Corleggy Condiments - Port Jelly
Burren Smoked Irish Organic Salmon seaweed marinat
Burren Hot Smoked Irish Organic Salmon with Honey, Lemon & Dill
Honey infused Burren Smoked Irish Organic Salmon
Stonewell Medium Dry Cider
Stonewell Dry Cider
Kilcree Gold Organic Honey
Duck Breast with Garlic & Pepper, 350g
Abbey Farm Gooseberry Preserve
William Carr & Sons Smoked Mackerel
Newgrange Gold Camelina Oil
Cashel Blue
Oak smoked Haddock
Wilkie's Organic Chocolate - Tumbes 75% Cocoa
Simply Better Ardrahan Cheese

A few of these products, such as Cashel Blue and Burren Salmon, I am very familiar with and buy on a regular basis. The Newgrange Gold Camelina Oil is only something I recently discovered and love to use on salads. The other products I am not so familiar with but seeing that they have received these stars and knowing from personal experience the outstanding quality of the products that I already use, will ensure that I will be on the lookout for the rest of them. 

On a little side note one of my favourite finds of the year has been Wild About who I discovered at the Galway Food Festival. They produce pestos, syrups and preserves from Ireland's native, seasonal and wild ingredients. We are particularly fond of their Fennel Cider Butter and Raspberry Beret in this household. Their Rhubarb Syrup was awarded two stars and would you believe it, I have a bottle in the cupboard. I have been told it goes particularly well with prosecco!!

To find out more about the Great Taste Awards 2013 or to find out about all the other Irish winners check out their website.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know many of those products, I have to look for them in the shops now. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wasn't familiar with many of them either though a few of my favourites are in there. I am looking forward to getting my hands on some of them soon to try them out.

      Delete