November 19, 2013

Six Great Places for Breakfast in Dublin City Centre

Where do you think is good for breakfast in Dublin? Now I'm not talking about a lazy weekend one but more a 'I have been up since 6am, I'm only just in town, I have a whole day of training ahead, must eat, where is the coffee' kinda breakfast!! Recently I had the opportunity to do some great training in Dublin City Centre. It meant early starts, a long commute and a very hungry woman by the time I got into town.  On the plus side though, it meant I got to try out a few places I had always wanted to have breakfast in!

Voilá

Feel like something french for breakfast? Well alongside a whole counter of croissants and cakes Voilá offer a slightly different take on the usual bacon and eggs by serving it up with slices of toasted baguette. A breakfast of bacon, 2 poached eggs and toast will set you back €7.50.

 

KC Peaches

KC Peaches has a few locations but I visited the Nassau street one which has a fairly large and diverse breakfast menu. They have sweet and savoury options including breakfast paninis. I got the Provencal Panini which was filled with basil pesto, gubbeen chorizo, roasted tomatoes, roasted red peppers, scrambled free range eggs, and emmental cheese. The panini was full of flavour and great value at €5.20. I couldn't even finish it all!! That and a flat white cost me €8.10.

Cup Cafe

The Cup Cafe is a few steps down from KC Peaches and is home to some great coffee and their famous sausage bap. They work closely with three time Irish Barista champion Colin Harmon and use Has Bean coffee which means they serve a great cup of coffee. Their breakfast bap uses Bretzel Bakery baps which are filled with sausage and caramelised onions and it costs €5.50.

 

Pichet

If you are looking for somewhere fancy for breakfast you can't go wrong with Pichet. It is plush, has lovely deep comfortable seats and is perfect for people watching if you get a place by the window. I ordered the Egg Benedict with ham and it arrived with perfectly poached and utterly oozy eggs. Breakfast here cost €13.40 which included a flat white.


Oxmantown

If by now you haven't heard of Oxmantown you need to visit it asap. It is a little cafe near the Smithfield fruit and vegetable market. There are only a few small stools available but at that time of the morning most people seemed to be getting takeaway. I got the breakfast sandwich with sausage, relish and rocket. It was immense and great value at €5.50.

Brother Hubbard

Brother Hubbard is very nearby to Oxmantown on Capel Street and is a friendly little cafe. I must have looked tired because even before I sat down the waitress asked what coffee I would like and said she would bring it straight over! Their menu is small but it is full of lovely sounding breakfast treats. If you can avoid ordering one of the delicious looking cakes and buns you can choose from items such as porridge, granola, or a chorizo and feta omelette. I went for the homemade baked beans topped with feta, parsley & sumac and served with toast. This was one of the more unusual breakfasts with fantastic middle - eastern flavours running through it. Breakfast here cost €11.90 including a flat white.

Just loved the way they presented their cutlery and salt & pepper
What is your favourite place in town for some breakfast before work?

Voila on UrbanspoonPichet on UrbanspoonKc Peaches on Urbanspoon

Find Oxmantown on Facebook and Twitter.
Find Cup Cafe on Facebook, Twitter and website.
Find Brother Hubbard on Facebook, Twitter and website.

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to go try Oxmantown tomorrow, but I also like Third Space when am in Dublin. Brother Hubbard, too. I'll have to slowly eat my way through the rest on other visits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Third Space but have never been down there for breakfast. I will have to give it a go sometime. There are probably loads of other places to add but I was only in town for six Fridays :) Hope you enjoyed Oxmantown!

      Delete
  2. Okay i'm getting seriously hungry looking at these breakfasts! There are lots of great top dublin restaurants to choose from but any place that serves Eggs Benedict is a winner for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know it was hard to write up the post without wanting a serious breakfast after it! Dublin is fab at the moment the choice of restaurants is great.

      Delete
  3. interesting article thanks!

    ReplyDelete